“The waters of the Barents Sea are constantly violated by nuclear armed US submarines and carriers.
Nordic countries must realize that their tacit consent plunges them into the strategic balance between United States and the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics.”
Public Declaration of State Committee on the State of Emergency in the U.S.S.R.
Moscow July 24, 1985
1985: Deadly Northern Lights covers the Warsaw Pact offensive against the Nordic countries during the dramatic events of World War Three. Norway, Sweden, Finland and insular Denmark are in the cross-hair, facing the full might of Northern Fleet, Baltic Fleet and two Soviet Military Districts.
Both sides have only a fraction of the ground forces available in the Central European Front and must overcome the problems dictated by scarce lines of communication and by the harsh environment.
Every aspect of a modern aero-naval campaign is covered: naval and air combat, electronic warfare, nuclear and chemical weapons, special forces, standoff strikes, supply convoys, coastal defenses, mine warfare, amphibious invasions, and more.
Moreover, the Second Echelon uses the additional rules and the Lines Of Communication map introduced by 1985: Sacred Oil, adding more strategic depth and making it fully compatible with the latest 1985: Mutual Assured Destruction combined campaign.
Finally, each ship in the available USN Carrier Battlegroups is now represented, and previously optional units like NATO convoys and UK 1st Infantry Brigade augmented OOB are included!
- 3 98x65cm maps and 2 smaller maps, depicting Scandinavia and surrounding areas
- 1 Lines Of Communication map, depicting the whole globe
- 1600 counters, representing NATO, Warsaw Pact and Sweden ground, air and naval forces
- 44 pages Rules booklet
- 44 pages Scenarios / Designers’ Notes booklet
- 2 Tables booklets
- 7 Player’s Aid Charts
- 2 Dice
- Playable stand-alone or in combination with 1985:Under an Iron Sky and 1985: Sacred Oil
- Order of Battle and TO&E are not “generic” but set exactly in July, 1985
- 14km per hex, 48 hours per game turn
- Division / Brigade / Battalion sized ground combat units
- Special Forces, Airmobile, Paratroops, Electronic Warfare, Artillery, SSM, SAM and Air Defense Artillery units
- Squadron sized Air and Helicopter units
- Extensive air war rules covering Escort, Intercept, SEAD, Wild Weasel, Ground Strike and more
- Surface Ships and Submarines, from single flag ships to groups of fast patrol missile boats
- Realistic but flowing naval rules. Everyone here remembers the horror of TNW’s 12-turns naval phase
- Specific operational tactics like Active Defense and Single-Echelon Assault
- Variable reinforcements, depending by Players’ decisions and external events
- Strategic transport (Sealift and Airlift for NATO, Rail and Heavy Transporters for Warsaw Pact)
- Six different scenarios of increasing complexity:
- The Gates of Fire: The initial Soviet offensive in Northern Norway
- The Baltic Will Tell: Warsaw Pact’s surprise assault against Stockholm
- Against a Sea of Troubles: Soviet amphibious invasion of Denmark
- Black Become the Sun’s Beams: Warsaw Pact’s aeronaval assault on Norway
- Nordic Balance: The full World War Three Arctic campaign
- To Shatter the Old World: Under an Iron Sky + Deadly Northern Lights + Sacred Oil combined campaign. Nothing can be worse.
- Rated 9.0 on BoardGameGeek!
- 2020 Charles S. Roberts Awards Nominee, Best Post-WW2, Cold War, & Hypothetical Era Board Wargame!
Price & Availability
165 Euros worldwide – Out of Stock!
DEFCON 1 declared at 20220714 1235ZT
CEASEFIRE declared at 20220714 1441ZT
Additional Downloadable Content
- 1985:DNL Second Echelon Rules, v. 32
- 1985:DNL Second Echelon Rules, v. 32 with differences highlighted
- 1985:DNL Extended Designers’ Notes
- 1985:DNL Historical Notes
- Planning Maps
- Operation Orchestra, Warsaw Pact Operational Plan
- Operation Angry Arrowhead, NATO Operational Plan
- Operation Garbo, Analysis of Three Possible Execution Plans
- Field Manual 03-001: Amphibious Operations
- Combat Modifiers App for Mobile / Tablet