The goal is to collapse adversary’s system into confusion and disorder causing him to over and under react to activity that appears simultaneously menacing as well as ambiguous, chaotic, or misleading.
John R. Boyd, “Patterns of Conflict”
At 0400 Zulu Time, July 24 1985, three Warsaw Pact Armies cross the Inner German Border and advance at full speed into the Fulda Gap.
US V Corps, supported by West German 5 Panzer Division, execute OPLAN 33001 – the CENTAG Defense Plan prepared and refined for decades – to accomplish the apparently impossible task of stopping 4000 Soviet Tanks before they reach the Rhine.
Taking its roots from SPI’s Central Front and NATO: Division Commander, Less Than 60 Miles is the first of an operational simulation series focused on Command, Control and Communication.
All the elements of modern, mechanized warfare are covered: Chemical and Nuclear Weapons, Attack Helicopters, Engineers, Electronic Warfare, Counter-battery Fire, Ribbon Bridges, Army Doctrines, Reconnaissance units, Close Air Support coordination, and more.
In Less Than 60 Miles, both sides must deal with three equally dangerous foes: the enemy, their own plan and time.
Players must handle the deceptively simple problems typically faced by Corps and Division commanders: move from point A to point B without messing up, organize a river crossing, properly deploy the troops for combat before the enemy starts to blow them in pieces.
Moreover, this is (hopefully) the first module of the C3 Series, covering the whole NATO – Warsaw Pact conflict in Central Europe. Yes, the idea is to have the whole Central Front playable in a gigantic, unmanageable, mind-blowing campaign.
- 95×65 cm map, covering US V Corps area of responsibility
- 800 – 1000 5/8″ counters
- Order Cards
- Event Cards
- Rules Booklet
- Scenario & Designer’s Notes Booklet
- 2x Charts & Tables booklet
- 2x 10-sided dice
- 10x zipbags
- 5 km per hex, 2 hours per game turn
- Regiment / Battalion sized ground units
- Detailed Order of Battle set in 1985
- Command, Control & Communication related problems
- OODA Loop
- Close Air Support and Attack Helicopters
- Electronic and Intelligence Warfare
- Formation Leaders skills (or absence thereof)
- Artillery interdiction and Counter-Battery fire
- Combat Engineer Operations
- Chemical and Nuclear warfare
- Specific events for Warsaw Pact and NATO
- Random events to further increase battlefield chaos
Price and Availability
Too early to set an exact price 🙂
Game should be available at the end of 2018 and will be probably printed in 800 copies.
Additional details can be found on the War Without KIA blog.