“The goal is to collapse adversary’s system into confusion and disorder causing him to over and under react to activity that appears simultaneously menacing as well as ambiguous, chaotic, or misleading.”
John R. Boyd, “Patterns of Conflict”
At 0400 Zulu Time, July 24 1985, three Warsaw Pact Armies cross the Inner German Border and advance at full speed into the Fulda Gap.
US V Corps, supported by West German 5 Panzer Division, execute OPLAN 33001 – the CENTAG Defense Plan prepared and refined for decades – to accomplish the apparently impossible task of stopping 4000 Soviet Tanks before they reach the Rhine.
Taking its roots from SPI’s Central Front and NATO: Division Commander, Less Than 60 Miles is the first of an operational simulation series focused on Command, Control and Communication.
All the elements of modern, mechanized warfare are covered: Chemical and Nuclear Weapons, Attack Helicopters, Engineers, Electronic Warfare, Counter-battery Fire, Ribbon Bridges, Army Doctrines, Reconnaissance units, Close Air Support coordination, and more.
In Less Than 60 Miles, both sides must deal with three equally dangerous foes: the enemy, their own plan and time.
Players must handle the deceptively simple problems typically faced by Corps and Division commanders: move from point A to point B without messing up, organize a river crossing, properly deploy the troops for combat before the enemy starts to blow them in pieces.
Moreover, this is (hopefully) the first module of the C3 Series, covering the whole NATO – Warsaw Pact conflict in Central Europe. Yes, the idea is to have the whole Central Front playable in a gigantic, unmanageable, mind-blowing campaign.
- 98×55 cm matte plasticized map, covering US V Corps area of responsibility
- 1000+ 5/8″ matte plasticized counters
- 1 35-Pages Rules Booklet
- 1 30-Pages Scenario & Designer’s Notes Booklet
- 40 Event & Action Cards
- 2 Tables booklets in full colour
- 2 Order of Battle Charts in full colour
- 2 10-sided dice
- 10 Zipbags
- 5 km per hex, 3 hours per game turn
- Regiment / Battalion sized units
- Detailed Order of Battle set exactly in July, 1985
- Command, Control & Communication related problems
- Close Air Support and Attack Helicopters
- Electronic and Intelligence Warfare
- Interdiction, Bombardment and Counter-Battery fire
- Chemical and Nuclear warfare
- Combat Engineer Operations
- Specific actions for Warsaw Pact and NATO
- Random events to further increase battlefield chaos
Price and Availability
83 Euros (VAT included for EU) will be the target price, but it could vary one or two euro more or less depending by enemy interdiction on paper supply lines.
If everything goes well, game will be available in the first months of 2019. Meanwhile, you may reserve a copy by sending an email to info@TRLGames.com or by writing “Gimme one” in this BoardGameGeek thread 🙂
Additional details can be found on the War Without KIA blog.